When looking for a home we both knew a full kitchen renovation was not something we wanted or could afford. During the search for our first home we looked for clues to see if a few simple updates could make the kitchen dream worthy. The house we chose, our current home, the kitchen was originally painted tangerine (YES tangerine!). However the previous owners had installed new stainless steal appliances, grey gradient, and white cabinets and we could see the light through the tangerine paint.
The kitchen was our first renovation as a married couple and we credit a lot of the initial inspiration from a DXV Faucet and a beautiful deep gray paint from Benjamin Moore. After we painted and installed the new faucet the dream kitchen started to shine through! See below steps we took to achieve the kitchen of our DREAMS.
- Paint color Benjamin Moore Galveston Grey. See our article about neutrals and how we got initially inspired!
- DXV Victorian Pull Down Faucet in Ultra Steel. We love American Standard and cannot say enough about how amazing their fixtures are! They just launched an awesome brand called DXV and the products fit our modern farm house theme perfectly (this is not an endorsement we love the faucet).
- Brushed Nickel Nantucket Knobs. To match the DXV Faucet we picked brushed nickel knobs. These knobs can be found at Home Depot or Amazon. We love how the knobs brighten and provide a profession feel to the kitchen.
- We received a custom farm table my family no longer needed (we got lucky and if my sister reads this I might be in trouble!).
- Black Farmhouse X Chairs from Target. We love incorporating inexpensive neutral items with expensive items, similar to that Forever21 dress you wore with designer shoes! These chairs are similar to Pottery Barn’s but for a fraction of the price. We have been using these chairs for 4 years and they are still in great condition.
- Light fixtures from Pottery Barn. Even though we have low ceilings we still wanted the kitchen to be modern, bright and airy. You can cut the cord to fit your ceilings height (we were nervous but trust us its worth it!). Alex installed the lights himself and he plans to write about it soon!
- Vegetable art from Crate and Barrel. These pieces were perfect for our modern farmhouse theme and they come in different vegetables, we liked the kale and carrots best.
- While the previous owners had a nice backsplash we could still see hints of tangerine! We did the backsplash last and found amazing white subway tile sheets from Home Depot. The tile sheets made the project move fast and we used white chalk to avoid showing any errors. We promise to do a separate article on how to lay subway tile, it is easier than you think!
- I convinced Alex and his dad to move the refrigerator to add more space when you first enter our kitchen from the garage. Alex and his Dad thought I was crazy but it turned out great! Now the kitchen allows more light from the dining room and does not feel as choppy. Do not be afraid to move appliances you might see something a different way than previous owners, play with the layout! Now when you enter our home from the garage you see the beautiful granite and white cabinets rather than a massive appliance.
Here are some more after pictures and by the way we made biscuits 🙂 We just looove our new kitchen!!
Share your kitchen renovation stories below!