You know the phrase “house poor”? We are here to tell you after you buy a home, decorate and renovate you will feel poor but in a good way! While creating the space of your dreams feels amazing it is important to be mindful of your budget. One great way to stay on budget is to reduce the amount of times you eat out. I know that doesn’t sound exciting with grand Valentines day ideas floating through your head but we have created an inexpensive version of Steak Oscar that will make you feel like you’re at a fancy restaurant. Perfect for fulfilling your Valentines Day ideas your significant other will be thankful for this amazing combination of steak, shrimp and velvety smooth béarnaise sauce. Did I mention it only takes 30min!! We find this dish comes together even faster when one person grills the steaks and the other creates remaining sides 🙂
Steak Oscar for Two
- 2 NY Strip Steaks about 16oz
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 Knorr bearnaise sauce packet
- 1/2 lb of shrimp
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 stick of butter
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tbsp Parsley
- Season the steaks on both sides with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Preheat the grill one side on high and the other side on low. Place the meat on the high side for one minute flip over for another minute then put on low side for 4 minutes each side. When finished remove the steaks from grill and let rest covered on a cutting board for 10 minutes.
- For the asparagus preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Wash asparagus throughly and trim off the tough bottoms off. Layer on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 10 minutes.
- To create béarnaise sauce follow directions on back of packet. In saucepan over medium-high heat, melt 1/2 cup butter; whisk in packet contents until blended. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk in 1 cup milk. Whisking constantly, bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute whisking frequently.
- Meanwhile clean and remove tails from shrimp. Heat 1/4 cup of butter and 1 tsp of olive oil over medium heat in saucepan with chopped garlic. Once garlic is aromatic, about 1 minute, add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cook shrimp two minutes per side and finish with one tablespoon of lemon juice.
Plate steaks on two individual plates, top with asparagus, shrimp, béarnaise sauce, dash of paprika and parsley. Enjoy!