When kale became a trend I was not a fan. Why is it curly, stiff and unappetizing when raw? I thought kale resembled seaweed you’d find in the ocean after a storm. Yuk! I could not have been more wrong about kale. Once we learned how to handle and cook kale it become a staple in our weekly menu. First of all if you plan to create a kale salad make sure you massage the kale. Yes I said massage, this breaks down the gritty texture and you can even see the kale turn a deeper shade of green during the rub down. Also ensure that you use a creamy dressing for salads or plenty of oil, salt and pepper for seasoning. If you follow each of these tips when preparing kale I swear you will convert just like us.
This recipe is a great detox after the heavy foods we have enjoyed over Super Bowl and Valentines Day.
Simple Kale Salad
KALE SALAD INGREDIENTS:
- 3 cups of Kale
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 1 apple chopped
- 1/4 cup craisins
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp pickle juice
- 2 Tbps ketchup
- dash of garlic powder
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Rinse and massage kale for 2 minutes or until kale turns a deeper shade of green.
- In a large bowl combine kale, celery, apple and craisins.
- Then combine dressing ingredients and taste to ensure enough seasoning.
- Pour dressing over kale and toss to ensure all ingredients are combined. Top with parmesan cheese and enjoy!
We love to use this salad as a side dish to Skinny Tastes Slow Cooker Maple Dijon Drumsticks !